Life is getting more expensive and stopping eating is not a solution. Finding ways to stretch your dollars to feed your family is essential.
Of course the regulars are here like meatloaf and tuna casserole, but what about sloppy joes with a pizza twist and a chili hash that will fill the most empty of bellies for under $10! Remember all of these are under 10 bucks!!!!!!!
Chili Hash - $9.61
- 1 pound medium potatoes, cubed - 1.20
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound ground beef - 6.48
- 1 medium onion, chopped - .66
- 1 can chili - .92
- 1 cup frozen peas - .25
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley - .10
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sour cream, optional
Sloppy Pizza Joes - $8.75
- 1 pound lean ground beef - 6.48
- 1 jar pizza sauce - .98
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder - .05
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed - .05
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano - .05
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil - .05
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder - .05
- 4 hamburger buns, split - .44
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese - .60
Tuna Noodle Casserole - $6.70
- 1/2 cup butter, divided - .50
- 1 (8 ounce) package uncooked medium egg noodles - .46
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped - 0.33
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped - .10
- 1 clove garlic, minced - .03
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced - 1.54
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour - .10
- 2 cups milk - .70
- 2 (5 ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked - 2.00
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed - .25
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs - .10
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese - .50
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted - .15
- salt and pepper to taste
Quick Meatloaf - $7.10
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions - .12
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs - .10
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic - .05
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard - .04
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper - .04
- 1 pound ground beef - 6.48
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten - .12
- 6 tablespoons ketchup, divided - .15
- Cooking spray
- Place potatoes and water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 7 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Drain potatoes and add to the skillet. Stir in the chili starter, peas, parsley and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream if desired.
Sloppy Pizza Joes:
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pizza sauce and seasonings. Cook and stir until heated through. Serve on buns with cheese.
Tuna Noodle Casserole:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a medium baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in the onion, celery, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, until tender. Increase heat to medium-high, and mix in mushrooms. Continue to cook and stir 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan, and whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until sauce is smooth and slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tuna, peas, mushroom mixture, and cooked noodles. Transfer to the baking dish. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small bowl, mix with bread crumbs, and sprinkle over the casserole. Top with cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl; add 1/4 cup ketchup. Mix beef mixture with hands just until combined. Shape beef mixture into a 9 x 4–inch loaf on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Brush top of meatloaf with remaining 2 tablespoons ketchup. Bake 7 additional minutes or until done. Slice loaf into 8 equal pieces.