Health | Family | news

4-Year-Old Overdosed On Vitamins, Came Dangerously Close To Death

The upsetting story of a 4-year-old overdosing on vitamins is making headlines this week. The case was originally published in the British Medical Journal as a warning against supplementing our diets with vitamins.

The young child from England was rushed to emergency after spending weeks vomiting and losing weight. It wasn't until three days after he was admitted, that his parents revealed they had been treating their son with 12 different dietary supplements; including a swath of vitamins, oils and minerals.

According to the medical journal, the boy's vitamin D level was shockingly 20 times the average. His blood calcium level was about twice that of a normal child his age.

He was diagnosed with and treated for severe hypercalcaemia.

The distraught parents thought that they were giving their son the benefits of "safer" natural therapies. Vitamins seemed so harmless. However, without the proper monitoring, recognition and experience, these therapies can be dangerous and toxic.

According to the Mayo Clinic website, most children don't need to be given supplements. "Multivitamins aren't necessary for most healthy children who are growing normally," writes Dr. Jay Hoecker, member of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the Mayo Clinic.

Thankfully, the little boy recovered fully after two weeks. Police were called to investigate the naturopath who recommended the toxic cocktail.

Do you feed your children vitamins? Let us know in the comments below, don't forget to Like & Share!

Related Articles