Spring is such a fun time for novelty foods, and these Easter Chicks Lemon Cookies are a perfect testament to that! Ring in your Easter festivities with these yummy cookies that look absolutely adorable!
All you need is some lemon cake mix, eggs, shortening, and a few decorating ingredients! Make your dough and get rolling...these bake up in a few short minutes, and it’s chow time!
- 9 orange gummy candies
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup shortening
- Yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Small amount of orange frosting
- Cut off pieces from your orange gummy candies, and set aside to use as beaks.
- To prepare cookies, in a large mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, eggs, and shortening until well blended.
- Add yellow food coloring if you want the yellow color of the chicks to be brighter.
- For each chick, roll two balls of dough. One ball should be about 1½ inches, and the other should be about ¾ inches.
- Place on a lined cookie sheet with the smaller ball just touching the larger ball.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until edges of cookies are golden brown.
- Remove from heat, and while the cookies are still warm, carefully press in two mini chocolate chips for the eyes.
- Remove cookies from cookie sheet to a wire rack to cool completely, being careful not to break the chicks apart.
- Once cookies are completely cool, pipe orange frosting onto the bottom of each chick for the feet.
- Using a dot of orange frosting, 'glue' an orange slice beak onto each cookie. Serve and enjoy!