Okay, so you're having people over for dinner and you want something easy but impressive. Chicken is boring, steak is expensive, and salmon is tricky.
It's too bad there's not an easy casserole that tastes like you slaved for days. OH WAIT! THERE IS!
This cheesy crab casserole is pretty much guaranteed to please all the seafood lovers in your life, especially those coming over for dinner.
It's a different dish than a standard tuna-noodle casserole, but it's just as satisfying!
What You'll Need
- 5 large croissants (stale, torn/cut bite-size)
- 2 thick slice french or Italian bread (stale, torn bite-size)
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 lb imitation crab, chopped bite-size
- 5 to 6 oz swiss cheese, shredded or chopped
- 4 oz monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 large eggs
- 2 c milk (2% or whole)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp creole seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 c horseradish sauce
- 1/8 to 1/4 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh chives, minced
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 13″ x 9″ baking dish with butter flavored cooking oil spray or grease with real butter.
- Evenly distribute torn croissants and bread in greased baking dish.
- Evenly distribute minced shallots, chopped crabmeat, baby Swiss and Monterey Jack over bread; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk 4 eggs; add 2 cups milk, whisking until well blended; add the Jane’s Crazy Mixed-Up salt, Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning and Old Bay seasoning; whisk well.
- Slowly pour milk mixture all over the casserole. Spread/squeeze 1/4 cup horseradish sauce evenly over top.
- Scatter small amount of sharp cheddar over casserole. Lightly press down on the casserole with large spoon or clean hands to help the bread soak up the liquid.
- Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil; place in refrigerator for a minimum of one hour, or up to overnight.
- Bake foil covered casserole for 30 minutes. Remove foil, rotate dish and bake, uncovered, for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven; scatter chives over all. Serve immediately. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.