When sticking to a diet, it can be hard to find foods that are satisfying but also still within your guidelines.
Weight Watchers touts itself as a program where you can eat anything in moderation, and this recipe doesn't disappoint!
Sometimes you just want a big helping of pasta without the guilt, so this chicken pesto parmesan pasta skillet is the perfect choice.
Emily Bites put it together and calculated all the points values (for both variations of the program) so you can just cook it up and enjoy!
What You'll Need
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- ¾ cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 oz uncooked bowtie pasta
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 8 oz cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced or chopped into bite size pieces
- 4 oz finely shredded Parmesan cheese
How To Make It
- Place the pine nuts in a large saute pan or deep skillet and bring over medium heat. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally until pine nuts start to look golden/toasted. Remove the pine nuts from heat.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the toasted pine nuts with the basil, garlic and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor and grind it until a pesto paste forms and everything is finely minced and combined. Set aside.
- Place the dry pasta in the same large saute pan or deep skillet from step one and pour in the water and milk. Stir in the salt and top with the broccoli, zucchini and peas. Turn the heat on to medium and stay by the stove, stirring occasionally and watching closely for the contents to begin to simmer. *Pan should remain uncovered. When you see the liquid start to simmer, reduce the heat to low.
- Cook the mixture on low, stirring every couple minutes, for 13-16 minutes until the liquid is mostly absorbed (pasta and veggies will be cooked). Add the cooked chicken pieces and the pesto from step two and stir in until well combined. Cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in almost all of the shredded Parmesan.
- Cover the pan with a lid for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and then stir until well combined and cheesy. Top each serving with a sprinkle of the reserved Parmesan and ½ teaspoon of the reserved pine nuts.
WEIGHT WATCHERS SMARTPOINTS:9 per (1 ¼ cup) serving
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PLUS:9 per (1 ¼ cup) serving
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER (1 ¼ CUP) SERVING:335 calories, 37 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 10 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 27 g protein, 3 g fiber
Will you be trying this delicious dish??