If you haven't had a churro before, then you're seriously missing out! Churros are like crispy donuts covered in sugar and cinnamon. To put it simply, they're basically fried pieces of heaven.
What makes this recipe oh-so-good is the chocolate & espresso sauce. This stuff is amazing. It's intensely delicious and complements the sweet cinnamon flavor of the churros perfectly. Use it for dunking or as a drizzle - whatever you do DON'T forget to make it!
For the Churros
- 1 cup water
- 3.5 ounces of butter
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4.4 ounces bread flour
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup castor sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- oil for frying
- For the Chocolate Espresso Sauce
- 5 ounces good quality dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup espresso
- In a medium pot bring the water, butter, salt and two tablespoons of sugar to the boil.
- Once boiling, add the flour and mix vigorously to make a roux. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Beat 3 eggs and add this to the roux and continue to beat. Use an electric mixer for this. You should now have a nice thick paste.
- Heat the oil in your deep fryer to 375 degrees. You can drop a little batter in to test if it’s ready.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a big nozzle and carefully pipe long strips of batter directly into the oil, cutting off the ends with a knife. Be careful not to over crowd the fryer, and fry a maximum of 3 at a time. Turn the churros over when they are brown on the one side and continue to cook the other side until golden. Remove them with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Mix the cinnamon and castor sugar together and toss the churros in this while they are still warm. Use tongs if necessary.
- To make the sauce, put all the ingredients except the espresso in a double boiler and melt together. Once it is a nice glossy consistency, add the freshly made espresso, stir and serve.