It's no secret that one of America's favorite summer salads is made with elbow macaroni; it's the perfect noodle for coating with a tasty sauce and mixing with fresh-from-the-garden veggies.
This classic macaroni salad is a crowd favorite and the bonus? It's easy to whip up in large batches. It stores well for about a week in the fridge, but it probably won't stay there for long!
This tasty side dish goes well with every kind of barbecue fare - from burgers to steak, it's all good!
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated carrot (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimento peppers
- In a large pot of slightly salted water, boil macaroni for 8 minutes until tender.
- Rinse and drain
- In a large bowl, blend mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper
- Stir in onion celery, green pepper, carrot, pimentos and macaroni
- Refrigerate for about 4 hours before serving, but preferably overnight