More often than we like to admit, recipes that claim to be easy still require a significant amount of prep work.
Peeling, dicing and sauteing can take up quite a bit of time and after a hard day's work the last thing you'd want to do is spend hours in the kitchen.
Luckily, there are plenty of recipes that don't use up what's left of your energy and will yield results that taste just as delicious as those that require the skills of a seasoned home chef.
One of these foolproof meals is this chicken and rice casserole that makes chopping optional and cleaning a breeze. The recipe uses cream of mushroom soup as a base to create a delicious one-dish meal that you will surely add to your weekly rotation.
- 1 cup of raw white or brown rice
- 3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package of dry onion soup mix
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 package of mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- 1 bundle of spinach, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 320 F (160 C).
2. Lightly grease a casserole and place your raw rice evenly on it.
3. Slice the chicken and place it over the rice.
4. Add the chopped onion, mushroom and spinach.
5. In a bowl mix the cream of mushroom soup, the dry soup mix and the 2 cups of water.
6. Pour the mix over the ingredients in the casserole dish.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Cook for 2 hours then let it cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.