Soup season has arrived and this one eats like a meal, for sure!
This creamy, hearty soup is exactly what you’ve been waiting for. Crunchy broccoli and salty cheese has always loved being together. Get some crusty bread and you're set to dig right in!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ pound broccoli (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute the onion in 1 tablespoon melted butter and set aside. In a large pot whisk together the melted butter and flour over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Let them simmer on medium low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and sharp cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve. For a smoother soup puree it in a blender, or only puree half so that there are some chunks, if you like!