If you’re looking for that “WOW” recipe to serve to your Easter guests this spring, you’ll love this fun novelty appetizer! Skip the veggies and dip, and whip up these quick and easy Crescent Roll Carrots with Egg Salad.
Pick up some cone molds or make your own with tin foil, and you’ve got the perfect base for easy crescent roll “carrots.” These are so delicious, and with the fresh dill as a stem, they’re almost too cute to eat!
For the “carrots”
- 1 tube Pillsbury crescent rolls
- 1 egg, whisked with 1 teaspoon of water
- Orange gel food coloring
- 1 bunch of fresh dill or parsley
For the egg salad
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup celery, diced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- For the egg salad, place eggs in a saucepan and fill with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Drain and run under cold water until chilled.
- Place peeled, hard cooked eggs in a bowl and using a fork or potato masher, mash eggs until finely chopped. Stir in yogurt, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper until smooth. Add celery and green onion and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- For the crescent roll "carrots," unroll the crescent roll dough onto a cutting board, then press the dough to fill in the seams.
- Cut the dough lengthwise into 6 equal strips. Brush one strip with egg wash. Roll the strips into a 17"-18" long log. Using tin foil, cut off a piece and roll it into a cone shape (or use horn molds). Wrap one dough log around each cream horn mold, and repeat for remainder of crescent roll dough.
- Brush the orange food coloring over each carrot shaped dough, then set carrots on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow carrot crescents to cool for about 5 minutes, then carefully remove cone and allow to cool completely.
- Fill each “carrot” with egg salad, then add a few sprigs of dill to act as the stem.
- Serve and enjoy!