Ever wonder how some of the most popular things got invented? Sure, sometimes it's pure genius. But most of the time it's pretty much just luck of the draw.
Some of the most well-known products of our time were actually invented by mistake. Too bad all of our mistakes didn't result in multi-million dollar industries, huh?
Here are seven of the most well known products that were actually invented by accident!
The Slinky was invented by a naval engineer named Richard Jones. He was working with tension springs to create a meter to monitor power on battleships when one of the springs fell. It kept bouncing from place to place on the ground, and that's how the popular toy was invented.
2. Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ruth Wakefield, owner of Toll House Inn was trying to make plain old chocolate cookies. When she realized she was out of bakers chocolate, she instead broke sweetened chocolate into small pieces and added them to the dough. Wakefield thought the chocolate would melt, creating chocolate cookies but instead the bits stayed in tact and gave us this classic cookie.
3. Potato Chips
Potato chips were actually the result of an extremely whiny customer. George Crum, a chef in Saratoga Springs, was getting increasingly frustrated after a customer sent back his plate of potatoes over and over, asking them to be cut thinner and more fried. Crum, out of spite, sliced the potatoes insanely thin and friend them until they were completely crispy. The customer actually loved them and asked for more!
4. Silly Putty
During World War II, engineer James Wright was trying to invent a rubber substitute for airplane tires, boots for soldiers, and other war necessities. He was trying to use silicone as it was more widely available. During one of his tests, Wright added boric acid which resulted in a gooey mess...that bounced! There was really no use for the stuff anymore, but it certainly was fun to play with.
Popsicles were actually invented by a kid! In 1905, soda pop was booming but 11-year-old Frank Epperson decided he wanted to make his own so he could make some money. He got pretty close, but then accidentally left the stuff outside over night. Temperatures ultimately dropped below freezing and when Epperson came outside the next morning he found his concoction frozen - with the stir sticks still in it!
Inhaling nitrus oxide and ether actually used to be a thing people did to get high. In the 1800s, people would have "laughing parties". Horace Wells was at one of these parties when he witnessed a man injure his leg while under the influence of laughing gas. The man said he couldn't feel a thing. Wells then tried using the laughing gas while he removed his tooth, and he found there was no pain. It's since been developed into use for major surgeries.
Civil war veteran turned pharmacist John Pemberton didn't intend for Coca-Cola to be anything more than a medication, which is why the original coke did include cocaine on its list of original ingredients. But now it's just turned into a fast-food staple!