Cake decorating can be fun, but some are complicated and hard to follow for your everyday baker. Look no further for the most impressive-looking confection, with minimal elaborate decorating steps - the Rainbow Cake Roll is delicious and will wow anyone who takes a slice!
It’s easier than it looks to make this colorful roll. All you need is some white cake mix, gel food colors, and a little bit of patience! Pipe your dyed cake mix onto a baking sheet, roll it up while still warm, then cool completely, frost the inside and roll it up again! Read on to see how it’s done.
- 6 eggs
- 1 box white cake mix
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon each red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple gel food color
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 container white frosting
- Rainbow sprinkles, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 15x10x1-inch pans with cooking parchment paper (you can use a larger pan, however be prepared to make one larger cake roll rather than two smaller ones).
- In large bowl, beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed until thick and lemon-colored, about 6 minutes. Add cake mix, sour cream, water and oil. Beat on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 1 minute.
- Divide batter into 6 small bowls, about 3/4 cup batter per bowl. Add red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple gel food colors, one to each bowl; mix. Pour each colored batter into a piping bag or Ziploc bag, and cut one corner off each bag. For better control with cake batter, be sure to cut small opening on end of each resealable bag.
- Starting with purple batter, carefully squeeze a thin diagonal line of colored batter onto each pan; repeating with blue, green, yellow, orange and red to make a rainbow-striped pattern. Continue until all batter has been used and pans are equally filled. It's ok to leave small spaces in between colors, as batter will fill in during baking.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until top springs back when touched. Meanwhile, sprinkle powdered sugar over two clean kitchen towels. Remove cakes from oven. Run metal spatula around edges of pans; carefully turn one on to each kitchen towel. Peel away parchment paper. Immediately roll up cake and towel from narrow end. Allow cakes to cool 30 minutes.
- In medium bowl, mix frosting and whipped topping. Mix in rainbow sprinkles, if desired.
- Carefully unroll cakes; spread half of the filling over each cake. Roll cakes up into logs; refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- Cut into slices to serve. Store covered in refrigerator.