Animals

FDA Issues Warning About Potentially Fatal Dog Bone Treats

- Page 2

According to the FDA, veterinarians and pet owners said that the bones caused gastrointestinal obstruction, cuts, wounds in the mouth or tonsils, choking, vomiting, diarrhea, bleeding from the rectum, and unfortunately, death.  

"Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet," Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian at the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine, said in the warning.

No brands were named in the report, but illnesses have been linked to "ham bones, pork femur bones, rib bones, and smokey knuckle bones." These products are usually dried and smoked or baked, and contain additional ingredients, such as "preservatives, seasonings, and smoke flavorings."

WHDH

In case you're worried about your furry friend gnawing on a bone behind your back, the FDA provided some extra tips for keeping them safe:

  • Chicken bones and other bones from the kitchen table can cause injury when chewed by pets, too. So be careful to keep platters out of reach when you’re cooking or the family is eating.
  • Be careful what you put in the trash can. Dogs are notorious for helping themselves to the turkey carcass or steak bones disposed [in] there.
  • Talk with your veterinarian about other toys or treats that are most appropriate for your dog. There are many available products made with different materials for dogs to chew on.

Stamper also added, "We recommend supervising your dog with any chew toy or treat, especially one she hasn’t had before. And if she ‘just isn’t acting right,’ call your veterinarian right away!"

Do you usually give your dog bone treats? Let us know!

Prev Page Page 2

Popular Videos

Related Articles