We say some days are so hot that you could fry an egg on the sidewalk, but how about starting a fire with a water bottle?
It sounds backwards, but that's just what happened to Dioni Amuchastegui, a battery technician for Idaho Power. Amuchastegui was taking his lunch break when he noticed smoke inside his car.
"At first I thought it was dust, but the window was rolled up so there was no wind," he told Today. "Then I noticed that light was being refracted through a water bottle and it was actually smoke."
Amuchastegui claims the light reflected through his water bottle was so hot that it burned a pair of holes into his passenger seat. In a video demonstrating what happened, a thermometer records the light's temperature as 211 degrees.
"It’s not something you really expect, having a water bottle catch your chair on fire," Amuchastegui said in a video recreating the incident. "I actually had to do a double take the first time."
In fact many who saw Idaho Power's video about the fire had their doubts as well, but a local fire department released a warning of their own about leaving a water bottle in your car on a hot day.