You’re not limited to your morning coffee to get that caffeine buzz! This delicious Mocha Poke Cake is the sweetest way to get your coffee fix!
Bake up an easy yellow cake from a box and get poking! You’ll love the filling in this cake, and the coffee-colored swirl is gorgeous once it’s all done. If you’re serving a crowd, don’t forget to save yourself a piece - this cake will go fast!
- 1 box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients on the box
- 1/2 cup coffee
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cup cold whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso granules
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Bake cake according to box directions in a 9x13 baking pan.
- Use the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes almost to the bottom of the cooled cake all over the surface, about 1″ apart. Use a paper towel to wipe the cake off your spoon after every few pokes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and coffee until cocoa is incorporated, and then whisk in condensed milk. Set aside.
- With a hand mixer, mix whipping cream on medium-high speed until it starts to thicken. Add in espresso granules and sugar, and continue mixing until medium peaks form.
- Gently fold in about 1 cup of your whipped cream into the coffee mixture, then pour the coffee filling over the top of your cake. Spread it all over the top so it fills the holes, covers the top, and oozes over the sides. It will be pretty thin at this point, but it will set when refrigerated.
- Gently spread the remaining whipped cream over the top of the coffee filling. Cover your mocha poke cake with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.