If your family's love for pancakes is starting to show on the scale, we have a healthy substitution they're guaranteed to love.
These corn cakes take less than 20 minutes to make, and they're one of the most versatile foods you can imagine. Whether you pair them with barbecue, top them with salsa or drizzle on a little honey for breakfast, they're great at every meal.
We're featuring Mr. Food's classic recipe, but don't hesitate to add your own flair by mixing in anything from bacon bits to jalapeno peppers.
- 4 ears of corn on the cob (about a 2 1/2 cups of kernels)
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 package (8 ounces) of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Remove the corn from the cobs using a sharp knife or a corn stripper (watch the video below to see how it's done).
- Combine the eggs, milk and butter with 1 3/4 cups of corn in a food processor. Blend until the corn is chopped coarsely.
- In a bowl, stir flour, cornmeal, cheese, chives, sugar, salt and cayenne pepper. Add in the remaining corn kernels and the chopped corn, stir just until all the dry ingredients are moist.
- Coat a griddle or skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Pour 1/8 cup of the batter onto the surface at a time and cook in batches over high heat. When the edges turn brown they should be ready to flip and cook for another 2 minutes or so.
- Serve and enjoy!