Slow cooker meals don’t always have to be not fresh and mushy. How about slow cooked meats with a bright and fresh side that can be prepared in under 10 min after a long day at work?!
A devilishly delicious soy glazed chicken will be waiting for you when you get home and with a 5 minute stir fry of fresh crisp veggies your dinner table will be surrounded by smiling faces. There’s always time to eat healthy especially with this foolproof recipe.
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¾ pound snow peas, trimmed
- 2 heads baby bok choy, leaves separated
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- black pepper and salt to taste
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix together the sugar, soy sauce, lemon juice, fish sauce, ginger, and crushed red pepper. Add the chicken and turn to coat.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is tender, on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. Pour the cooking liquid into a large skillet and boil until slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a second large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the snow peas, bok choy, bell pepper, scallions, and garlic and cook, tossing frequently, until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve with the chicken; drizzle with the cooking liquid.