This is a meal everyone in your family will love! This Chicken, Shrimp and Vegetable Gumbo is full of flavor and is so easy to make.
This entire recipe is made in an Instant Pot. If you haven't heard of these nifty kitchen gadgets, you need to get one...they will seriously change your life. They are basically pressure cookies, but on steroids! You can use it as a slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, or even a saute pan.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups green bell pepper diced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 3 cups Water
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes undrained,14.5-ounce cans
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs skinless, boneless, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 pound okra cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. With lid off a 6-quart Instant Pot, press [Sauté], and use [Adjust] to select “Normal” mode.
- Combine flour and oil in cooker; cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a flat spatula until dark brown.
- Add bell pepper,onion, celery, and garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 3 cups water, Old Bay, garlic powder, salt, tomatoes, chicken, and bay leaves . Turn cooker off.
- Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Turn the steam release handle to “Sealing” position. Press [Manual]; select “High Pressure,” and use [-] or [+] to choose 23 minutes pressure cooking time. When time is up, turn cooker off. Open the cooker using Natural Pressure Release.
- Stir in hot sauce and okra. Press [Sauté], and use [Adjust] to select “More” mode. Cook, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp; cook 5 minutes or until done and okra is tender. Remove and discard bay leaves.
Recipe Source: Time Inc.