These days, it can seem really tough to keep our families full and happy on a tight budget, so it helps to take a lesson from someone who's been through much worse.
Before she passed away in 2013, Clara Cannucciari was famous for sharing her family's recipes from the Great Depression on her YouTube channel.
These recipes are cheap, healthy and delicious. After all, they've proven to be family favorites for 90 years, so they're bound to be good! Her "Poorman's Meal" is one of the best, a tasty, simple mix of sausage and veggies that your family will crave.
- 4 Frankfurt sausages
- 5 potatoes
- 3 small onions
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- Peel and cube the potatoes and onions
- Cut the sausages into bite-sized pieces
- Heat oil in the frying pan and add onions.
- After a minute or so add the potato.
- Fry for around 5 more minutes before adding in the water and the other ingredients
- When the potatoes are fully cooked, this meal is ready to eat!