Nothing beats fresh basil pesto. Spread it on your pizza, pasta and even warmed cheesy bread. One of the best ways to eat this delicious pesto is to cover steaming gnocchi with it.
Follow the simple steps and you'll be moments away from the most authentic Italian meal you've ever had!
- 1 oz. (30g) basil leaves
- 1 oz. (30g) Parmigiano cheese
- 1/2 oz. (15g) pecorino cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 oz. (15g) pine nuts
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch of kitchen salt
1. Using a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic cloves with a pinch of salt.
2. Add a handful of basil leaves and a few pine nuts
3. Blend thoroughly
4. Add a spoon of Parmigiano and a spoon of Pecorino cheese. Pour in a little stream of extra-virgin olive oil and keep blending
5. Repeat this process until you have blended all the ingredients.
6. Freeze in ice cube trays or store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated. Serve with pasta, or on pizza.