When you deep fry mac and cheese you create pretty much the most amazing munchy destroying snack ever! Prepare yourself for this hunger killing experience!
These mac and cheese fries are coated with crunchy, spicy jalapeno kettle chips. Served up with a homemade ranch dip that only enhances the utter addictiveness! Must try!
- 1 box macaroni and cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 8.5 ounces jalapeño-flavored potato chips, crushed
- Canola oil, for frying
For the dipping sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 1 tablespoon dill
- Prepare a rectangular baking dish with parchment paper. Boil the pasta according to box directions.
- After draining pasta, place it back into the pot and add in the butter, powder mix from the box, cream, and shredded cheese, then mix until well-combined.
- Pour mac and cheese mixture evenly into prepared baking dish, spreading evenly and pressing until about ½-inch thick. Chill in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes up to overnight.
- Once mixture is well-chilled, slice it up into small rectangle “fries”, about 3 inches long.
- Mix together the flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a small shallow dish. Pour the beaten eggs into another shallow dish. In another shallow dish, pour in the crushed jalapeno chips.
- To dredge the “fries,” dip a mac and cheese fry into the flour until lightly coated, then dip in the egg, then quickly coat with crushed chips. You can dip once more in the egg and then the chips if necessary for a thick and even coating. Repeat until the remaining “fries” are coated.
- For the dipping sauce, stir together the ingredients in a medium bowl, then chill for 30 minutes.
- In a large pot or deep fryer, heat 2 cups of oil to 350 degrees. Fry the dipped “fries” into the oil in batches, until golden brown, then drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve the “fries” freshly fried with the ranch dressing on the side. Enjoy!