John Wayne might just be the most memorable American movie star in history. He thrilled millions with his tough-talking, no nonsense characters for years. As good as he was on the screen, rumor has it that he was even better in the kitchen.
John Wayne once contributed to a cookbook by his friend Cara Connery. His entry is a delicious meal that you will be proud to serve to your family.
John Wayne Casserole is a quiet American favorite that isn't as recognizable as the star who created it - but it should be. Give it a try in your kitchen and see what you think.
- 2 (4-ounce) cans green chilies, drained
- 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 pound Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup canned evaporated milk, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced
- Heat Oven to 325 Degrees
- Combine Chilies with cheese in a large bowl and turn into a well-buttered casserole dish
- Beat the egg whites until peaks form
- Mix egg yolks, milk, flour, salt and pepper in a small bowl
- Fold mixture into the egg whites. Pour over the cheese and chilies.
- Comb through with a knife and fork gently until combined
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Arrange Tomatoes On Top
- Bake 30 more minutes
That's all you need for the favorite meal from one of the country's favorite stars.