Cabbage rolls are the kind of recipe that gets passed down from generation to generation. Always delicious, always comforting, but, unfortunately, also always time consuming to make.
What if I told you it didn't have to be that way?
There's more than 1 way to make cabbage rolls easily, but this Cabbage roll casserole has got to be one of the best. In less than 2 hours you'll have a delicious meal that tastes like home - but without having to put in all the work.
Here's what you need to do.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add onion and saute for about 3 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic, Italian seasoning and beef, breaking up the beef as you do. Fry the beef until it's brown, about 8 minutes, stirring regularly. Drain if needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the tomato sauce, rice, salt and half of the coarse ground pepper. Mix well to combine; this is your casserole mixture.
- In a casserole dish, layer one-third of the cabbage, then one-third of the ground beef, and finally one-third of the casserole mixture. Repeat layers two more times.
- Pour beef broth over the entire casserole. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Place the casserole dish in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- After removing from oven, sprinkle entire casserole with remaining 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper.
If you love cabbage rolls give this a try - let us know what you think!
[Recipe from Cooktop Cove]