When it's a week night but you're looking for something a little fancier, look no further than this Cordon Bleu casserole!
Chicken breast, ham, Swiss cheese, all layered together to make a sure-fire crowd pleaser that's super simple to make!
If you're invited to a potluck or you're just looking for something that will last a few days, check out this Cordon Bleu casserole.
What You'll Need
- 1 1/2 pound of cooked chicken meat, shredded (you can use leftovers or use rotisserie chicken, discard the bones)
- 1 package of lean ham, sliced
- Swiss cheese slices (enough to cover the casserole)
- 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
For the sauce:
- 1 can of evaporated milk (12 ounces)
- butter or oil (to taste)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the topping:
- 2 cups of Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 ounce of butter (30 gr)
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of white grounded pepper
How To Make It
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F (170 C) and grease a casserole pan with a little bit of butter or your preferred oil.
2. To make the sauce, melt some butter or heat the oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the evaporated milk, the chicken bouillon cube, the mustard, nutmeg and season to taste. Let it cook to desired thickness whisking it often over low heat.
3. While the sauce cooks, assemble your casserole. Spread the shredded chicken evenly and season it with salt, lemon juice and the garlic powder. Make a second layer with the ham slices and finalize with a layer of the cheese. Use just enough to cover the chicken entirely. Pour the sauce evenly to cover your casserole.
4. To prepare the topping, melt the butter in a pan, add the Panko crumbs, the onion and garlic powder, the white pepper, and the dried basil. Add the topping over your casserole and pop it in the oven until it's bubbly and golden brown, around 30 minutes. Allow 10 minutes to cool down before serving it.