Chili cheese dogs are an American classic.
It's sort of like a sloppy joe with a twist.
But as adults (and even kids) it's a darn mess to eat. There's not graceful way to consume a chili cheese dog.
That's why this oh-so-easy chili cheese dog casserole is a perfect compromise! All of the flavor, none of the mess!
What You'll Need
- 10 hot dog buns, torn into roughly 2-inch pieces
- 10 hot dogs, sliced lengthwise
- 14-ounce can of chili (or 2 cups of homemade chili)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions (spring onions), chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream, to serve
How To Make It
- Lightly grease the bottom of a 3-quart casserole dish. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place hot dog buns in a casserole dish, covering the bottom of the dish entirely.
- Evenly spread hot dogs over the buns, and then spoon the chili over the top. Spread Dijon mustard over the chili.
- Place the sliced red onions over the chili, and finish with the grated cheddar cheese. Place in the oven, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Serve immediately with a sprinkling of the freshly chopped green onions and a spoonful of sour cream.
And there you have it! Enjoy your new favorite dish!