If you like popcorn shrimp, you’ll love this recipe for Crispy Shrimp Burgers. Seriously, this dish is like fried shrimp on steroids...it’s so good!
It’s so simple frying this on your stove, and the simple slaw and chili mayo add a nice tang that just compliments the whole burger. Feel free to double this recipe - after you give one a try, you might not want to share the second one with a friend!
- 2 burger buns
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the burgers:
- ½ pound raw peeled shrimp
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Salt, to taste
- ½ egg white
- 1 tablespoon plain breadcrumbs
- ⅔ cup panko breadcrumbs
For the slaw:
- ¼ cabbage, finely shredded
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
For the chili mayo:
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- To make the burgers, rinse the shrimp under cold water, then gently pat dry on paper towels.
- Put half the shrimp and green onion into a food processor with a generous pinch of salt, then pulse to a rough paste. Add in the egg white and plain breadcrumbs, pulsing once more, then add in the remainder of the shrimp, pulsing once more to roughly incorporate them into the mixture. Do not over process at this time as you still want a few chunks of shrimp throughout the mixture.
- Sprinkle panko onto a plate, then scoop out half the shrimp mixture with your hands and shape into a burger patty. Gently press the patty into the panko, flipping over to completely cover all sides. Repeat once more with the remaining shrimp mixture and panko, then set the patties aside onto a plate, covering with plastic wrap and chilling in the fridge until ready to fry.
- For the chili mayo, combine those ingredients in a small bowl. Prepare the slaw by mixing all ingredients together in a medium bowl, then toss to combine.
- When ready to cook the burgers, heat enough oil to cover your frying pan until just starting to shimmer. You can test the oil by dropping a panko breadcrumb in - if it sizzles and browns, the oil is ready.
- Place the burgers carefully into the oil, frying about 3-4 minutes on each side until evenly golden brown, crispy, and springy to the touch - you may need to cook each side a few times to cook all the way through.
- Drain patties on a paper towel-lined plate, then lightly toast the burger buns, if desired.
- Assemble the burgers with slaw on the bottom bun, a burger patty on top, and some mayo on the patty. Serve immediately. Enjoy!