There is no better comfort food than macaroni and cheese - that is until you make it even better by using your mac and cheese to stuff some jumbo shells! The tasty, cheesy dish will bring the kind of joy that only a classic comfort food can.
Try out this recipe today to try a new spin on a classic!
For the macaroni
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 24 jumbo macaroni shells, cooked
- 8 oz macaroni noodles, cooked
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 tsp kosher salt
For the cracker topping
- 15 Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 13x9 baking dish, use a non-stick cooking spray and then spread tomato sauce evenly along the bottom and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat your butter. Then add in the flour and stir it until it is combined and has no lumps.
- Pour the whole milk in, stirring constantly and allow it to come to a boil.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in cheese and salt until smooth.
- Add in your cooked macaroni noodles and mix it in so they are completely coated in the cheese mixture.
- Now you are ready to assemble your shells!
- Take one of the cooked shells and fill it with about 2 tbsp of macaroni and lay it in the baking dish.
- Repeat until you have lined the tray.
- In a separate small bowl, mix your Ritz crackers with the butter and stir so all the crumbs are lightly coated. Sprinkle over top of the shells.
- Bake for 30 minutes, allowing it to get all gooey and delicious, and then serve!
- It looks like a very fancy dish, but gives you the comfort that only mac and cheese can provide!