It's official: there's no better smell in the whole world than an oven full of warm cinnamon rolls.
When you combine them with the delicious taste of the cream cheese icing, it's no wonder families around the world make it a tradition to bake these every weekend.
If you love the cinnamon rolls you buy in a can from the grocery store, but want to try something fresher, this simple slow cooker recipe is for you.
All you need to do is to buy some frozen bread dough and follow this great recipe from Everyday Good Thinking.
For the bread:
- 1 loaf of frozen bread dough
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the icing:
- 1 cup confections' sugar
- 3 ounces of cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons of butter at room tempreature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
To make the rolls:
- Spray the inside of a Ziploc bag with nonstick spray and put the frozen bread loaf in the bag. Leave it in the fridge to thaw for 24 hours.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle about 10 inches by 16 across. If the dough is springy, let it rest for a few minutes before rolling again.
- Spread butter over the dough (leave a 1/2 inch clear around the edges).
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle the mix over the dough evenly.
- Roll the dough over (from the longer side), pinching the edges closed. Cut the dought evenly into 12 pieces.
- Line the slow cooker crock with stripps of parchment paper criss-crossed in the center and arrange the rolls in the crock. Cover and refrigerate them overnight.
- Place the crock in the cooker on HIGH for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or on low for 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
- Use the parchment paper to life the rolls out when they're done. Let them cool, ice them and enjoy!
To make the icing:
- In a medium bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar cream cheese, butter, vanilla and salt.
- Beat the ingredients with an electric mixer until the're smooth, then spread over the rolls.
Share this recipe if you love cinnamon rolls!