'Miracle Dog' Lucky To Be Alive After Swallowing 8-inch Knife

This is basically a dog owner's nightmare.

Macie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier had to get emergency surgery after she swallowed an 8-inch kitchen knife. Macie's owner, Irene Paisley, took the 12-week-old puppy to an after-hours emergency vet when she noticed strange behavior.

"Macie was making a squeaking sound — I thought she'd swallowed part of a toy," said Paisley. "Then she was sick, but there was no sign of a toy and she started choking."

When Macie saw the X-rays, she was obviously pretty worried. Even the vet was shocked.

"I've never seen an X-ray like Macie's," said vet Emily Ronald. "She was extremely lucky to survive. Her saving grace was that she swallowed the handle-end first. The blade-end would undoubtedly have pierced her organs, likely causing fatal injuries."

Luckily, Macie is making a full recovery.

"The morning after surgery, she was bouncing all over the place as if nothing had happened," Ronald said. "Macie has been back for frequent check-ups over the past two weeks and we're pleased she's recovering and healing well."

We're so glad Macie is okay...but how the heck did she even manage to swallow that?! I guess we'll never know...

Popular Videos

Related Articles