Macaroni salad is an American classic that is sure to go fast at a summer BBQ.
They can be really hit or miss, however. Too sweet, too much vinegar, too many veggies, over-cooked noodles. The variables are nearly endless.
Luckily, Renee Chase shared her Mom's Best Macaroni Salad and now you can stop your search for the perfect recipe!
"This is, by far, the best macaroni salad I've ever put into my mouth," says Chase. "It has a perfect blend of sweetness and tartness, and it is so pretty with all of the multi-colored veggies. Be ready for this to disappear before you put it on the table! I have six children, and it is all I can do to keep them from nibbling on it while I'm mixing it up!"
What You'll Need
- 16 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
How To Do It
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Rinse under cold water, and drain.
- In a large bowl, stir together the carrots, red onion, green pepper, red pepper and celery. Mix in the mayonnaise, condensed milk, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add the macaroni, toss gently, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. I usually make this a day ahead of time, and stir it occasionally to blend the flavors. The macaroni will absorb some of the liquid.
How do you make your macaroni salad? Let us know!