Banana bread is one of the simplest and most loved sweet loaves.
Almost every family has a version of the basic banana bread recipe that is not doubt a crowd favorite, but if you're looking for a modification that will bump it up to the next level, we suggest adding a vegetable.
Sneaking an extra-healthy element into this dessert is super simple - just add zucchini! This summer squash variety has soft, edible skin and is rich in folic acid, beta carotene and vitamins C and E.
It's mild flavor blends well with bananas and chocolate, which makes it perfect for classic banana bread - with a twist!
- 3 mashed bananas
- 2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups white flower
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl: mix zucchini, bananas, oil, applesauce and vanilla
- In a large bowl: combine remaining ingredients except walnuts and chocolate chips
- Add wet mixture to dry and blend well
- Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips
- Pour into 9x5-inch floured bread pan
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheiht for 45-60 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean