Have you ever baked a pumpkin instead of carving it? If no this is your time to shine!
The best pie is the one you make! Never will you get a real pumpkin flavor without using a real pumpkin. Make sure to tell everyone that you only eat real pumpkin pie!
- 2 eggs, plus the yolk of a third egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 small pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 premade pie dough
- Cut a medium-small sugar pumpkin in half. Scrape out the insides (reserving the pumpkins seeds to toast). Line a baking sheet with foil. Place the pumpkin halves cut side down on the lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees until a fork can easily pierce them, about an hour to an hour and a half. Remove from oven, let cool, scoop out the pulp.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Beat eggs, mix in sugars, salt, spices: Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Mix in the brown sugar, white sugar, salt, spices—cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves.
- Add pumpkin and cream: Mix in the pumpkin purée. Stir in the cream. Beat together until everything is well mixed.
- Pour the filling into an uncooked pie shell. Bake at a high temperature of 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Then after 15 minutes, lower the temperature to 350 degrees. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes more, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack: Cool the pumpkin pie on a wire rack for 2 hours. Note that the pumpkin pie will come out of the oven all puffed up (from the leavening of the eggs), and will deflate as it cools.