Mozzarella sticks are delicious and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.
But getting them at a restaurant can be expensive, not to mention greasy beyond all reason. If you're trying to lose weight it can be tricky to indulge without flying off the rails.
That's why these Weight Watchers approved mozza sticks are the perfect substitute for the real thing! Easy, inexpensive, and guilt-free...what more could you want?
What You'll Need
- 12 sticks part-skim, reduced sodium mozzarella string cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp flour
- 5 tbsp Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 5 tbsp panko crumbs
- 2 tsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- olive oil cooking spray
How To Make Them
- Cut cheese in half to give you 24 pieces.
- Place cheese in the freezer until cheese is frozen.
- In small bowl, whisk the egg. Place the flour on another small dish. In separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, panko, parmesan cheese and dried parsley.
- Dip the frozen sticks in flour, shaking off excess, then into the egg, then coat with the crumbs.
- Repeat this process with the remaining cheese placing them on a tray with wax paper. Place cheese back into the freezer at least 1 hour until ready to bake (this is a MUST or they will melt before the crumbs get golden).
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray with oil.
- Place frozen cheese sticks on baking sheet. Spray the tops of the mozzarella sticks with a little more oil and bake in the bottom third of your oven until crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and bake an additional 4 – 5 minutes watching them closely so they don’t melt. Makes 24 pieces.
Servings: 12 • Serving Size: 2 pieces • Points Plus: 2 pts* • Smart Points: 3*Calories: 87* • Fat: 4.8 g • Protein: 7.4 g • Carb: 3.5 g • Fiber: 0.2 g • Sugar: 0.2Sodium: 168.6