My grandma used to make this most delicious casserole I've ever eaten. It was creamy, cheesy, and always a success!
I asked her for years to give me the recipe so I could make it for my own kids, but she always told me it was a secret.
I tried to recreate it but to no avail.
But then the craziest thing happened....SHE DROPPED OFF THE RECIPE!! Her exact words were "I just wanted to share the happiness with you." How amazing is that??
Use this recipe for a chicken and dumplings style casserole and I promise you won't regret it!
What You'll Need
- 4-5 large chicken breast, boneless
- 1 stick butter
- 1 1/2 c self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 c sharp cheddar cheese
- 1c chicken broth (reserve for further use)
- 1 can(s) cream of celery soup
- 1/2 tsp rosemary or thyme
- 1 Tbsp real butter
- salt and pepper to taste
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken, 4 tablespoons butter and salt and pepper in a large stockpot and cover with water, at least 2 inches over the chicken. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer and boil chicken until tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. When chicken is done remove from broth and let cool. Reserve broth. When cool, shred chicken into pieces.
- Melt 1 stick butter and pour into 3-quart baking dish. Spread chicken on top of butter. In a separate bowl, whisk flour and milk together and carefully pour evenly over top of chicken, scrape bowl. In the same bowl whisk together 2 cups of the reserved chicken broth, cream of celery soup, sour cream and savory. Carefully pour this mixture over top of chicken and flour mixture.
- Add cheese over the top for a gooey treat.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a golden brown. Let cool for about 15 minutes. Then pour the remaining 1 cup reserved chicken broth evenly over the top. Let stand for about 5 minutes or until the broth has “soaked” into the chicken and dumplings.