One of my family's favorite desserts is the icebox cake. It's something we can all enjoy making together, and it's a snap to make when you're short on time, because you can prepare and chill it ahead of time.
This recipe, from Averie Cooks, puts a tasty spin on the classic with some Boston cream flavor. Topped with chocolate chips and filled with layers of graham cracker crumbs, every bite of this is totally satisfying.
It's up to you to decide if you prefer a little crunch when the cake comes out of the freezer, or the gooier version from the fridge, but any way you slice this dessert it's simply delicious!
- 2 packets (3.5 ounces each) of instant vanilla pudding
- 8-ounces (1 container) of whipped topping, thawed
- 3 cups of cold milk (not almond or soy)
- 1 box (about 15 ounces) of graham crackers
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extreact
1. Line a 9 by 13-inch pan with aluminium foil.
2. In a large bowl, add the pudding mix, whipped topping, milk and whisk the ingredients together.
3. In the lined pan, add an even layer of graham crackers. You should completely cover the bottom of the pan.
4. Spread half the pudding mix evenly over the graham crackers.
5. Add another layer of graham crackers, then the rest of the pudding mixture. Top with one last layer of graham crackers.
6. In a saucepan, melt half the chocolate chips, butter, sugar, milk and stir over a low heat until the mix is melted. Add in the vanilla and whisk together.
7. Pour the chocolate mixture over your graham cracker layer, smoothing it with a spatula to cover the whole pan. Wait around 5 minutes for everything to cool, then sprinkle on the remaining chocolate chips.
8. Cover the pan and freeze for 4 hours, or overnight. Slice and serve! You can store your cake in the fridge or freezer for up to 5 days.
Check out Averie Cooks for more delicious recipes!
Be sure to share this simple and tasty dessert with your friends!