Blondies are one of my favorite desserts. No matter what kind you make, you’re guaranteed a gooey end product that’s packed with tasty ingredients. These Rolo Chocolate Chip Blondies are made with a chocolate I’ve loved for years - you just can’t beat caramel and chocolate.
We used mini Rolos for our version, but you can use the regular sized kind if that’s all you can find at your grocery store. Make sure you don’t overbake this - remember, with all these toppings your toothpick will inevitably hit caramel or chocolate...just make sure there’s no uncooked batter and you’re golden!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces mini Rolos (or about 36 regular Rolo candies, unwrapped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large, microwave-safe bowl add the butter and heat to melt, about 1 minute on high power.
- Wait momentarily before adding the egg so you don't scramble it. Add the egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, salt, and stir until just combined, don't overmix.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Turn slightly more than half the batter out into prepared pan, and set remaining batter aside.
- Place the Rolos in the pan in one even layer.
- Drop remaining batter over the Rolos in heaping rounded tablespoons. Use a spatula to smooth the 'blobs' of batter together. You won't have complete coverage which is fine because batter expands a bit while baking and some of the patches will fill in.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until top is set in center and done; don't overbake. Blondies firm up as they cool. A toothpick test is unreliable because you will likely hit melted chocolate or caramel, but if you hit a patch of dough, the toothpick should come out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Place pan on a wire rack to cool for at least 90 minutes before slicing and serving. Blondies will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.