If you're looking to spice up your life a little this week, why not try a simple take on the classic Spanish arroz con pollo?
This traditional meal brings a lot to the table; it's full of protein and hearty veggies that is sure to keep you feeling full long after you've scrapped your plates clean. Most traditional recipes cook olives right into the dish, but if you've got picky eaters, feel free to serve them on the side.
It only takes 40 minutes to prepare and serves four.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 150 grams spicy chorizo sausage, cut into chunks
- 1 large Spanish onion
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 red peppers, cut into strips
- 200 grams long-grain white rice
- 450 ml chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons green olives
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large pot, over medium heat, warm oil
- Add chicken pieces and brown for 2 to 3 minutes,
- Add the chorizo sausage and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add the onions, garlic and red pepper, and sauté until the chorizo sausage releases red oil and the vegetables have softened slightly.
- Add the rice and mix thoroughly and cook for 1 to 2 minutes to coat it all in oil.
- Add the stock and smoked paprika, and place a lid on the pot/pan. Simmer over a very low heat, with the lid on, for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and tender and the rice is soft and has absorbed all the liquid.
- Give a quick stir and fluff up the rice, serve immediately with olives