If you happen to have any donuts leftover, (I know, it happens so rarely at my house, too), save them and throw ‘em on the grill! Even if they’re not day-old, Grilled Donuts with Blueberry Sauce taste amazing no matter what!
You won’t be able to get enough of the crispy, caramelized donuts, and the blueberry sauce is a serious showstopper! Serve this up with vanilla ice cream, and you’ve got a serious treat for a summer day!
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 day-old large glazed doughnuts, halved horizontally
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- In a small stainless steel saucepan set directly on the grate, combine the blueberries, ¼ cup of water, orange juice, and sugar. Stir gently and bring to a boil.
- In a cup or small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and ¼ cup cold water. Gently stir the cornstarch mixture into the blueberries, being careful not to mash them. Simmer gently until thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Spread the cut side of each doughnut with softened butter. Grill the doughnuts cut side down over moderate heat until lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm with the blueberry sauce and ice cream.