Easily bake up these individual-sized pineapple upside down cakes with just a muffin tin and a few key ingredients. The sweet combo of pineapple and cherry makes for a cake topping that is not too overpowering and has just the right amount of tasty.
These mini portions are the perfect amount of food for your guests at your next party - they’ll be impressed by the pretty imprint the caramelized fruit will make, and who can resist a little ice cream to top it off? Serve these up and they’ll be gone in minutes!
- 20 ounces canned pineapples
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 24 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In using pineapple rings, cut them into quarters.
- Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine cake mix, oil, eggs and pineapple juice in a bowl and beat on low until incorporated.
- In another bowl combine melted butter and brown sugar and stir until blended.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons of butter mixture into each cup.
- Place pineapple pieces in a circle around bottom with cherry in center.
- Fill each cup 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Run a butter knife around edges of each cup and invert onto baking sheet to remove cupcakes.