Dinner ideas get harder and harder to come up with as the year goes on.
Chicken was on sale so you bought a ton of it, but now it's pretty much just sitting in your freezer collecting frost and waiting to be turned into the same old boring meal.
Lucky for you, we've got the perfect way to use up that chicken and make a delicious meal in the process!
Chicken Parmesan casserole is an easy, quick, instant classic that will leave your family begging for more!
What You'll Need
- 2.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast (or enough to line the bottom of the pan)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 cups of marinara sauce (store bought or your own recipe)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (or 2 tablespoons dried)
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded, divided
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated (freshly grated recommended) and divided
- 1 (5-oz) package garlic croutons
How To Make It
1. Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C). Spread olive oil and garlic in a 9x13 casserole dish. Then sprinkle pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
2. Lay chicken breasts in casserole in a single layer. Only add as many as will fit in a single layer. The number may vary depending on the size of your breasts. Sprinkle with remaining salt and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
3. Pour marinara sauce over all the chicken, then sprinkle chopped basil followed by half the mozzarella and half the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Evenly spread croutons over the cheese, then cover again with the remaining two cheeses.
4. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the top is golden and the chicken cooked through.