Warm, fresh, straight from the oven bread is a thing of beauty. Nothing can beat that smell of wonder!
It's too bad that so many of us only experience that smell once in a while. Imagine waking up every morning and getting fresh baked bread with your coffee...all without having to leave the house!
This recipe for white bread is one to print off and keep for the ages! Never buy bread at the grocery store again!
What You'll Need
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 packages quick acting or active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cups scalded milk cooled to about 110°
How To Make It
- Mix 3 1/2 cups of flour with sugar, salt, shortening and yeast in a large mixing bowl. Add very warm milk; beat for about 1 minute. Stir in enough of the remaining flour, a cup or so at a time, until dough is easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead, adding more flour as necessary to keep it from sticking, until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Place the dough in a large buttered mixing bowl.
- Turn dough over so greased side is up. Cover with a clean dishtowel and let it rise in a warm place, out of drafts, for about 1 hour, or until doubled. When the dough is touched, an indentation will remain.
- Punch dough down and divide into two equal portions. Flatten each half with hands or rolling pins into a rectangle about 18×10 inches. Starting at 10-inch edge, roll dough tightly; pinch the long seam together. With sides of hands, press each end of loaf; fold ends under loaf. Place loaves, seam side down, in loaf pans (approximately 9 x 5 x 3-inch). Brush each loaf lightly with butter. Cover loosely with clean dish towels and let rise until double, about 35 to 50 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Bake loaves on a low rack, so tops of pans are at the center of the oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Bread will sound hollow when lightly tapped.