Riley Gedge-Duffy is a shy little boy with Down syndrome who sometimes sneaks away to quiet places in his home for a little alone time. Unfortunately, this time he chose the dryer and when the door latched behind him, the machine turned on.
As the five-year-old boy from Northern Ireland was being tumbled and burned inside the dryer, his mother was in another room vacuuming. She could not hear his shouts over the sounds of the machine, but Teddy, the family dog did.
If it hadn't been for Teddy's persistence, little Riley would have likely died of suffocation, Riley's father told the BBC. "Only for our dog going nuts and notifying my wife by running up and down barking, my wife knew that there was something up and went down," Mr Duffy said.
When his mother found her son, she pulled him from the dryer and cooled him down. Then she took their son to a local hospital where the boy is being treated for bruises and burns.
According to the ambulance driver that rushed mother and son to the hospital, it would have taken only five minutes inside the dryer for him to suffocate.
"Teddy's going to get fillet steak tonight, I can guarantee that, she's a very smart dog."
The little boy suffered burns to his arms, back and head. He is resilient though: his father says that he is on the mend and back to his old self.
Do you think that a safety should be installed on auto-start dryers? Let us know in the comments below!
Thank goodness for that quick-acting pup!