How cute are these BBQ Cupcakes?! These adorable sweet treats are perfect to make for all your backyard BBQs, pool parties and family get-togethers this summer. Your family and friends won't be able to get enough of them!
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- red gel food colouring
- orange gel food colouring
- red and orange cupcake sprinkles
- Gummy Bear candy
- Box of toothpicks
Royal Icing Ingredients
- 4 egg whites
- 4 C powder sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- Black gel food colouring
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another large bowl, stir together eggs, milk, oil and vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients bowl and stir.
- Beat with a hand mixer on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly add boiling water and continue to beat.
- Fill the cupcake liners with the batter about ¾ way full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
Frosting Recipe (for BBQ flames):
- Beat the softened butter until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add powdered sugar with heavy cream into the creamed butter until it becomes smooth and thick.
- If the frosting is too thick, add more heavy cream, if the frosting is too thin, add more powder sugar.
- Put 1/2 of the frosting into a separate bowl. Put several drops of orange gel food coloring in that bowl and stir well to blend the color.
- In the second bowl add the half of the frosting. Add several drops of red gel food coloring. Stir well to mix the color.
- Scoop the orange frosting into a pastry bag with a frosting tip. Scoop the red frosting into the same pastry bag.
- Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the orange/red frosting to the tip.
- Using the filled pastry bag work the frosting in a circle on the top of each cupcake until they are fully frosted.
Royal Icing Recipe (for grill grates):
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with mixer at high speed until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar and lemon extract and beat until thickened.
- Add black gel food coloring stir to blend well.
- Tape wax paper covering a cookie sheet.
- Fill a small pastry bag with the black icing and use it to draw a grill on the wax paper.
- Allow to dry for 5-10 hours.
- Cut the wax paper holding the completed BBQ grill into squares surrounding the image.
- If the grills are dry peel them off the wax paper and place on the frosted cupcake.
- Cut each Gummy Bear into 3 pieces.
- Slide each small square piece of gummy candy onto a toothpick.
- Place the kabobs on the grill.