It's BBQ season again! Sunny weather and delicious food are always the best way to celebrate summer, but let's face it - a BBQ is only as good as the sauce on the food. Well you won't need to worry about that this year, we've got a recipe that will introduce a delicious sweet taste to your sauce.
Cherries aren't just for sundaes! Adding them to your sauce is a great way to make a good sauce a great sauce. This is the best way to do it:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup chopped green onion (white part only)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups Heinz ketchup
- 1 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) pitted cherries
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup prepared mustard
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter is a small pan.
- Add onion and sauté until almost soft.
- Add minced garlic and cook for one minute longer.
- Pour contents of pan into blender. Add remaining ingredients and puree until smooth.
- Pour contents into saucepan and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 – 40 minutes, until desired consistency is reached. Stir occasionally.
I particularly like the sauce on pork, but a little bit of fruit sweetness tastes great with a charbroiled steak too.