Overwhelming disasters have a way of reminding us about all the small things in life that really matter, and no symbol expresses that idea better than "the little chapel that stood."
When a pair of planes struck the World Trade Center towers on September 11, 2001, both of the skyscrapers were destroyed, along with many other huge buildings nearby. But less than 100 yards from the Twin Towers, the tiny St. Paul's chapel was miraculously unharmed.
It turns out this wasn't the first time the church had survived a major disaster. The chapel was built in 1766, 10 years before the signing of the Declaration of Independence. At the time, the tower at the back of the church made it the tallest building in New York City.
It was common for fires to catch in large cities at the time, and the church survived a number of deadly blazes that destroyed other buildings in Manhattan. It was even left standing after the Great Fire of 1776.
Along with its miraculous power to survive disaster, the church was known for its famous visitors. George Washington worshiped at the church on his inauguration day, and during the two years that New York was America's capital city.
But despite all that history, the church's most important moment came after the 9/11 attacks.