Fondue is always a big hit in my house, but who wants to pull out all that fondue equipment whenever you need your fix?! This Shrimp Fondue Casserole solves that problem with ooey gooey cheese, delicious shrimp and a cracker crunch, all packed into a casserole dish and popped into the oven!
This easy meal makes a great weeknight dinner in a hurry, and even better leftovers the next day! You’ll love this twist on fondue and macaroni and cheese!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 cups dried elbow macaroni
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 ½ cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese, cubed
- 12 ounces raw small shrimp, halved lengthwise
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 ¾ cups crushed saltine crackers (36)
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut up
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 3-quart casserole with cooking spray; set aside. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Return macaroni to pan; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine shredded Swiss cheese, Gruyere cheese, flour, and garlic. Toss to combine. In a large saucepan, heat broth and wine over medium heat just until bubbles form around edge of pan. Add cheese mixture, 1 cup at a time, whisking constantly after each addition until cheese melts, (mixture may not be completely smooth at this point). Do not boil. Remove from heat. Season to taste with pepper.
- Pour cheese mixture over macaroni; stir gently to combine. Fold in cubed Swiss cheese, shrimp, and sliced green onions. Spoon pasta mixture into prepared casserole. Sprinkle crushed crackers evenly over top; dot with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and topping is golden.