One of my favorite things to make for dinner on a cold winter day is a hearty soup, served with some fresh baked bread still steaming out of the oven.
This recipe takes just a few minutes to prepare and cooks effortlessly in your crock pot while you're at work. There's nothing quite like coming home after a long chilly day to a comforting bowl of soup. Not only is it easy but this recipe also makes a big batch and freezes well making it the perfect soup for lunch leftovers or busy weeknight dinners!
- 16 ounces dried green split peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups diced ham
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 8 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Place dried split peas, ham, potatoes, carrots, and garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth.
Stir in bay leaf and parsley.
Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours (or on high for 4 to 5 hours). Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.