Grandma might get jealous because this recipe may become the most sought-after dessert for after dinner.
What do you think? Apple pie is definitely a family-favorite in my house.
For the filling:
- 3 granny smith apples
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
For the bread:
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vegetable oil
For the glaze:
- 1/3 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 5 teaspoons whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Make the apple filling: Peel, core and slice the apples into thin slices, then cut in half. Toss apple pieces with sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Bake the apple filling in an 8-inch square baking pan for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Make the bread: While the apple filling is baking, begin by preparing the bread dough. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Add the water and oil and mix the dough for 6 minutes using an electic or stand mixer on medium-high speed.
- Spray a smooth clean surface with cooking spray and knead the dough briefly until the surface is smooth.
- Spray a rolling pin with cooking spray and rolly the dough into a large rectangle and 12x16". Lift onto a greased baking sheet.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut each side into strips about 1-inch wide, leaving the center third untouched.
- Spread apple filling down the middle third of the dough and fold the strips of dough into the center crisscrossing the filling by alternating strips. Lightly press ends to seal.
- Bake the braid in the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Make the glaze: Whisk together the glaze ingredients in a small bowl until blended and smooth.
- Once cool, brush the glaze in a thick coat over the entire surface of the apple braid and transfer onto a cooling rack.
- Slice and serve!