There’s nothing more fun and refreshing than jello in the summertime! So versatile, this colorful treat can be made into so many different desserts.
This Watermelon Jello is an absolute showstopper as a novelty jello-pie - each slice you take out once it’s all set looks just like a piece of watermelon! This confection takes a little bit of patience, but each step is super simple! You’ll be so glad you made this!
For the red jello layer:
- 5 boxes red jello (15 ounces total)
- 1 tablespoon dried blueberries
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup water
For the white jello layer:
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- ⅓ cup water
- ¾ cup milk, warmed
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
For the green jello layer:
- 1 box green jello
- ⅓ cup sweetened condensed milk
- Green food coloring (optional)
- Grease the mold with nonstick spray.
- For the red jello layer, dissolve 5 boxes of red jello into 3 cups of boiling water. Once it has all dissolved, pour in 1 cup of water and stir.
- Place the pot in ice water and stir the mixture as it cools. Once the mixture begins to thicken, it solidifies very quickly, so be careful.
- Once the mixture has thickened to the point that it will not sink, remove it from the ice water.
- Add 1 tablespoon dried blueberries and stir.
- Pour dried blueberry mixture into red jello mixture, until the height reaches about 2 inches.
- Seal the jello mixtures tightly with plastic wrap to make sure the jello to be added later does not become separated, then cool in the refrigerator for about 1 hour and a half.
- For the white jello layer, mix 1 teaspoon of powdered gelatin with water. Heat in the microwave, making sure that it does not boil, and dissolve the gelatin.
- Add 7 tablespoons of milk and stir until fully dissolved. Pour sweetened condensed milk to mixture and stir until it dissolves. Let it cool.
- Carefully remove the plastic wrap from red jello layer and pour white jello mixture in until the height increases by about ⅓ inch. Cool in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- For the green jello layer, place green jello in a heat-resistant bowl, pour in ¼ cup of boiling water and stir until it dissolves. Add sweetened condensed milk and stir.
- Heat for 30 seconds in the microwave and stir. Add food coloring if desired for a more intense green color. Let it cool.
- Pour cooled mixture on top of white jello layer, then cool in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Place the bottom of mold in hot water and remove the jello onto a plate.
- Cut it into pieces and enjoy!