Pad Thai is something I normally order from restaurants, but with this Chicken Pad Thai recipe it’s just as easy to make at home (and even more delicious!). You have the option to use pad thai sauce from the grocery store, or read on below for a scrumptious homemade sauce!
We made ours with chicken, but feel free to customize this to your taste - you can use shrimp, crab, beef...whatever you like! This is a great meal to serve for a group, it makes plenty and is perfect for sharing! Enjoy!
- Oil for the pan (about ¼ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, minced
- 4 eggs, divided
- 6 green onions, cut to 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chicken breast, sliced thinly
- 1 package wide vermicelli noodles, soaked in room temperature water for a couple hours to soften
- 1 cup crushed peanuts
- 1 cup bean sprouts
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 can concentrated tamarind paste
- 1/4 cup-1/2 cup sriracha (added after), depending on how much heat you like
To make the sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, pour in vegetable oil, brown sugar, fish sauce, and water, stirring to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then add the concentrated tamarind paste.
- Bring to a boil once more, then remove from heat and transfer to a squeeze bottle.
To make the stir fry:
- In a large pan on medium heat, add some oil to the pan, then add garlic and lemongrass, stirring to combine.
- Push garlic and lemongrass to one side of the pan, then add two eggs and scramble them.
- Once the eggs are cooked, remove them from the pan, then add chicken.
- Once the chicken is midway through cooking, move all the ingredients to the bottom of the pan and add two more eggs to the top of the pan, moving around to start scrambling.
- Add vermicelli noodles on top of the chicken mixture on the bottom of the pan.
- Using tongs and a wooden spoon, begin tossing all of the ingredients (including the eggs) together.
- Add pad thai sauce to taste, them keep tossing.
- Sprinkle in crushed peanuts, mix, then add bean sprouts and more pad thai sauce.
- Keep tossing all the ingredients until everything is warmed through.
- Serve with extra bean sprouts, green onion and peanuts, with sriracha on the side. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top and enjoy!